Diabetes is a chronic disease affecting the entire body. Care management requires a team approach because of the complexity of the disease. The team includes these members:
- The patient, who is responsible for self-management
- Nurse Practitioner
- Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist
- Registered Dietitian
We are proud to have a team of qualified professionals available to serve you. We work closely with your Primary Care Physician, Podiatrist, Ophthalmologist, Cardiologist and Exercise Specialist to complete your care. These experts are also a part of your diabetes or thyroid care team.
Lenita Hanson MD, F.A.C.E., CDCES, CPI
Dr. Lenita Hanson received her undergraduate training through the City University of New York and her residency and fellowship training in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New York.
Dr. Hanson is:
- Certified in diabetes education and insulin pump therapy
- A Fellow of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
- A Certified Principal Investigator for clinical research
- Medical Director for Hanson Clinical Research Center
- Quality Coordinator for Living Smart Diabetes Self-Management Program
Located in Port Charlotte FL, Dr. Hanson limits her medical practice to Adult Endocrinology and Diabetes. She works closely with certified diabetes educators, registered dietitians and diabetes specialty groups to create a team-approach to diabetes care for her patients.
In 2002, as an added resource for her patients with diabetes, Dr. Hanson sponsored the Living Smart Diabetes Self-Management Program.
Today, the Living Smart Diabetes Self-Management Program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association and serves to meet a community need through outreach.
Dr. Hanson coordinates a monthly free diabetes resource group, participates in local health fairs, and volunteers to speak to various community groups. Watch for information on these events on this website and in local news media.
Women’s Lifestyle Magazine featuring Dr. Hanson
Dr. Hanson was selected to appear on the cover of “Woman’s Lifestyle Magazine”. In the article about her in the magazine, she answered the following questions:
- Q: What do you love about what you do?
- A: Improving the quality of life of my patients.
- Q: When are you happiest?
- A: I’m happiest when I have the satisfaction of knowing that I have made a positive difference in someone’s life whether it be family, friend or stranger.
- Q: What is your favorite pastime?
- A: Oil paining both seascapes and landscapes.
- Q: What is most important in a friendship?
- A: Trust and dependability.
Nyla Gail Cooper, APRN, CDCES
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse and Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist
Nyla has over 30 years working in healthcare, with more than 12 years’ experience as a Registered Nurse in the hospital and Veterans Administration setting.
Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner
Master of Science Nursing
South University, Florida
Bachelor of Science Nursing
Edison College, Florida
Over 30 years working in healthcare with 12 years’ experience as a Registered Nurse in the hospital and Veterans Administration setting.
Hanson Diabetes Center / Hanson Clinical Research Center, Inc
Adjunct Professor – Florida Southwestern State College
Lee Memorial Health System and HCA Hospitals – Staff Nurse
Insulin Pump Management
Continuous glucose Monitoring Systems
Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist
Good Clinical Practice for conducting clinical research
DOT /IATA shipping infectious substances
Professional and Society Memberships
American Diabetes Association
American Association of Nurse Practitioners
American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Association
Community Board Membership
Living Smart Diabetes Self-Management Program – Advisor
Sub-Investigator for diabetes related phase 3 and 4 clinical trials