Thyroid Care at Hanson Diabetes Center
Dr. Lenita Hanson is certified to provide complete thyroid and parathyroid care. Conditions treated at our center include:
Thyroid Function Problems
- Diagnosis and management of under-active and over-active thyroid
- Interpretation and management thyroid test results
- Management thyroid problems in pregnancy
- Interpretation, diagnosis and management of calcium and parathyroid disorders
Thyroid Anatomy Problems
Dr. Hanson was one of the first graduates of the Endocrine Certification and Neck Ultrasound (ECNU) Program. As such, she is highly trained in Thyroid Sonography and Thyroid Nodule Fine Needle Aspiration.
What are some of the reasons to consider a thyroid evaluation?
- Family history: A familiar place to look for thyroid disorder signs and symptoms is your family tree. If you have a first-degree relative (a parent, sibling or child) with thyroid disease, you would benefit from thyroid evaluation. Women are much more likely to be thyroid patients than men; however, the gene pool runs through both.
- Prescription medications: If you are taking Lithium or Amiodarone, you should consider a thyroid evaluation.
- Radiation therapy to the head or neck: If you have had any of the following radiation therapies, you should consider a thyroid evaluation: radiation therapy for tonsils, radiation therapy for an enlarged thymus, or radiation therapy for acne.
- Chernobyl: If you lived near Chernobyl at the time of the 1986 nuclear accident, you should consider a thyroid evaluation.
Procedures done by Dr. Hanson in her office are:
- Thyroid nodule assessment and management
- Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules
- Thyroid cancer pre- and postoperative medical management
Thyroid disease diagnosis and treatment
Screening for thyroid dysfunction is done by evaluating medical history, physical examination and laboratory testing.
- An ultrasound may be helpful in order to get a better look at the anatomy of the thyroid if the thyroid is felt on physical exam or a nodule is incidentally discovered.
- Radioactive iodine uptake helps to diagnose an overactive thyroid and to look for under or over-functioning areas of the thyroid. The test also helps screen for thyroid cancer along with a CT scan of the neck.
- A fine needle aspiration is used to gather thyroid cells for examination under the microscope.
- A thyrogen stimulation test and whole body scan is used as part of the evaluation and treatment of thyroid cancer.
Thyroid disease prevention
Thyroid disease cannot be prevented. Making healthy lifestyle choices, like not smoking, may decrease risk of cancer. That said, you can KNOW your risk factors. Some of these include:
- Gender: Women are more prone to thyroid disorders
- Age: thyroid disorders are more common after age 40
- A family history of auto-immune disease
- Pregnancy or menopause
- Certain medications and radiation exposure
Thyroid Neck Check: to check if you have an enlarged thyroid gland or a thyroid nodule that should be checked and evaluated, you can perform a simple test at home. Instructions on this Flyer
Read More About the Thyroid
Lenita Hanson MD, F.A.C.E., CDE, CPI, ECNU
Hanson Diabetes Center / Hanson Clinical Research Center
Two tools used by Dr. Hanson and other MD’s to diagnose thyroid disease are detailed below:
In order to understand Fine Needle Aspiration Thyroid of Nodules you must first learn about thyroid nodules.. Thyroid Nodules Simply put, thyroid nodules are lumps which commonly arise within an otherwise normal thyroid gland. Often these abnormal growths of thyroid...
Thyroid Sonography is performed with Ultrasound scans. Ultrasound scans are high frequency sound waves too high for humans to hear. After the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank in 1912, scientists researched ways to find underwater icebergs. During this time, SONAR...